Tuesday, November 30, 2010

American Psyco and Cultural Politics and Cultural Studies

Is American Psyco the result of a hegemonic culture? I think it is. The group of men portrayed in American Psyco are powerful and wish to exercise social leadership and authority over a subordinate group-women. And they allow this to happen. The group of men win because the women give their consent. This is a sad commentary on our society if it is true. Is it?

But what about the movie Invictus? The movie is about Nelson Mandela.  Can there be more then one way to inspire?  Of course there is. One particular scene evoked a lot of emotion for me. It is when Francois meets Nelson Mandela for the first time and Nelson Mandela asks Francois how his ankle is feeling:

Francois: The truth is, Sir, you never really play at 100% no matter what.

Nelson Mandela:  In sports as in life. How do we inspire ourselves to greatness when nothing less will do? How do we inspire everyone around us? It is by using the work of others.

Invictus by William Ernest Henley

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how straight the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Who does this serve? Who does Nelson Mandela serve? South Africa? No, not just South Africa, everyone, everywhere. The poem, as well as Nelson Mandela touched the hearts and souls of the world.
The movie created the vehicle to bring it home.

No comments:

Post a Comment